Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Blues of the Malawian tenant

The other day I received a letter from my estate agents that my rentals were going to be raised by 20%, an annual increase applied to all rentals regardless of whether it is necessary to do so or not.

I have no problems with rentals being increased. I have a problem when no justification is given. If I look at the indicators around me, the percentage is not justified. Firstly Bakili Muluzi is no longer the president of Malawi i.e. the inflation rate hit the single digit months ago and things are looking up. Secondly repairs that were supposed to take place to some fixtures in the house have not been done nine months down the line. Thirdly, it's just not cool to raise rents!! After all I only got a 10% raise on my salary this year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment